Metal-ceramic prostheses are made using an alloy of chromium, cobalt and nickel. If it is easier to explain, this is a construction made of metals, on top of which there is a special coating (ceramic). A special layer in the form of gold or platinum is possible. These materials make it possible to achieve a very similar result with your own teeth.
How are prostheses made of metal ceramics?
Crown of metal-ceramic made according to this scheme:
- A dentist makes a cast of the upcoming design.
- Gives this impression to the dental technician.
- A technician makes a model of future dentures.
- Dentist tries on the design of the patient's teeth.
- When defects are found, the design is sent back for revision of the technique. When all is well suited, then a layer of ceramics is applied on top of the structure.
- At the last stage, the prostheses are covered with a layer of glaze.
Indications for prosthetics with metal-ceramic
Metal-ceramic crowns are attached to real teeth or, during their absence, to implants. Anyway, There are certain indications:
- The destruction of crowns. That is, the complete destruction of the outer part of the crown happened and it is simply impossible to restore it with the help of fillings or dental inserts.
- Defect already established prostheses. For example, the crown greatly changed color, lost luster, deformed.
- In humans, severe pathological abrasion of the dental coating.
- Defect of the dentition.
- The discrepancy between dental structures and aesthetic characteristics. This applies to metal crowns, plastic prostheses, bridge crowns and combined structures.
- The need to restore the naturalness and chewing function of teeth.
- Anomaly of dental growth, if other methods of elimination of this defect are impossible.
- It is necessary to restore several teeth near the dental bridge.
The advantages of metal ceramics
Ceramic prostheses have a large list of advantages:
- Absolute hygiene. Ceramic-metal prostheses can completely eliminate the penetration of microorganisms and are guaranteed to refrain from their action. This is a very important advantage for patients with painful gums.
- Gorgeous aesthetics. Often patients turn to prosthetics not because of health problems, but because of aesthetic discomfort. Metal-ceramic prostheses do an excellent job with this. An experienced technician at the professional level will make artificial crowns so that it will be difficult to distinguish them from natural teeth. The best effect can be achieved when it is necessary to have several teeth at the same time.
- Absolute functionality. Teeth from metal-ceramic, as well as their own, perform their direct functions. The person does not experience a feeling of difference during the meal.
- Protection. The metal frame of the prosthesis is in tight contact with the tooth. Because the tooth in the future is not subject to destruction. Moreover, the tooth is completely protected from the negative effects of its environment.
- Affordable price.If you compare the price of prostheses and non-metallic implants, then in this case, the price greatly pleases. But metal ceramics is more expensive than traditional metal prostheses.
- Durability. If you correctly follow all recommendations for hygiene, then these prostheses will last more than 20 years.
- Absolute biological compatibility. If the installation process was carried out qualitatively, then metal-ceramic crowns do not cause any irritation and changes in the gums.
- Increased strength. These crowns can withstand very large loads, from which they will not collapse. The load during chewing is distributed evenly and correctly.
- Color fastness Metal-ceramic prostheses have no restrictions on the consumption of colored foods.
The disadvantages of metal-ceramic prostheses
But at the same time, metal-ceramic prostheses have several disadvantages:
- Depulpation required. In some cases, to install cermet necessary to make the removal of nerves.
- Turning is required. Unfortunately, for the installation of cermet will need to sacrifice healthy teeth, which are located in the area of installation.
- The possibility of the formation of chips. When the load exceeds the permissible, then the appearance of chipping.
- The possibility of aesthetic violations. Near the edge of the prosthesis may form a black line from the metal frame. This is obtained by lowering the gums. Such a manifestation greatly spoils the appeal.
- Hardness of cermet. It is significantly higher than the hardness of their own teeth. It seems to be attributed to the benefits. But high strength through time leads to abrasion of teeth in the opposite row.
Probable complications of cermet
Prosthetics may have side effects. This can happen from the inserted material, and from the actions of the dentist. As a rule, factors are technical and human. Side effects can occur in the form of inflammation of the gums and gingivitis. Diseases of the soft tissue can be caused directly by the prosthesis. Most often, the focus of infection begins at the site where the crown is in contact with the tissues. Most likely, the technology was not observed during the installation, plus the person did not provide proper hygiene. Thus, the described factors of the procedure created an undesirable effect. In this case, the dentist will be required to remove the tooth.
It happens that the patient feels pain under the prosthesis itself. Most likely, periodontitis develops. Often this happens when the prosthesis is dressed for a living tooth.
Also cyanosis of the gums appearsThis reaction is caused by a metal crown. In addition to the unnatural color, the person does not feel any discomfort. This complication causes only an aesthetic problem.
In some cases, the metal base can be observed under the metal-ceramic layer of the prosthesis. This can often be seen in people who have performed a single tooth prosthesis. When the restoration of a number of teeth was carried out, this unaesthetic moment is imperceptible.
How is the prosthesis?
Before inserting prostheses, an X-ray examination is required. With the help of his doctor will be able to see the foci of inflammation and other negative processes. Found diseases must be cured.
If necessary, unviable teeth are removed. Then make the treatment of the remaining dentition and gums. Produced human research and compiled budget fully leads to the procedure of prosthetics.
When the tooth left behind the roots, the missing structure is restored using a pin or tab. The stump tab makes it possible to restore the teeth even with very strong destruction. About its establishment, the doctor is determined at the preparation stage. The pin before building is installed in almost half of the cases.
Before installing prostheses make depulpation. This procedure causes a lot of disagreement. Professionalism, qualification, experience of the dentist and modern equipment in this case are paramount.
Turning or preparation
This is a mandatory procedure. Directly the preparation process is performed so that the tooth got a tapered shape.
While the cast and the final prosthesis is being performed, the person walks with a temporary one. The crown protects the tooth from power load, food penetration and infection. As a rule, this crown is made of plastic.
The finished crown is fixed with a special adhesive material, it perfectly adheres to the surface, and also provides additional strength.
It is possible to install a metal-ceramic prosthesis without depulping. This is required for such moments when a living tooth with nerves is much better, more durable and better than where the nerves were removed. Depulpirovanny tooth through time becomes quite fragile. After some time, it can break open under the influence of a metal-ceramic structure. It is for this reason that dentists are prone to installing pins. The only exceptions are molars that have the necessary amount of bone tissue, which makes it possible to securely fix the structure.
Nerve endings It is much easier to tolerate adverse effects. It is these teeth that are least affected by caries. By eliminating depulpation, you can significantly reduce the price of prosthetics.
Contraindications to prosthetics
It is undesirable to use metal-ceramic prosthetics., if a:
- A person has a shortened brown area.
- In the dentition significant defects.
- The person is clearly expressed allergic reaction to an artificial structure.
- It is forbidden to install metal ceramics on a bad tooth. It must first be completely cured.
- There is a convergence of teeth.
- Periodontal on teeth.
- When at night a man grit his teeth (bruxism).
Metal-ceramic crowns can be installed at different prices. Cheap analog costs about 4 thousand rubles. This is the simplest stamped design. German and Japanese manufacturer manufactures prostheses for 7 thousand rubles. for a unit. Belarusian and Russian manufacturers make metal ceramics for 5 thousand rubles. When cermets are covered with gold and palladium or platinum and gold, its price will be about 10 thousand rubles. If the crown is coated with pure gold, then 18 thousand rubles.
The cost of prosthetics can be reduced using certain tricks. For example, put plastic crowns on the back and side teeth, and metal-ceramic on the front teeth.
Caring for dentures
It is no secret that clean and well-groomed teeth maintain their health for quite a long time. The same applies to artificial teeth. They need to perform the same activities as with their own teeth. Everything We know these procedures from childhood:
- Between brushing your teeth, they should be rinsed with plain water or a pharmacy solution. This should be done after any snack.
- It is mandatory to clean dentures with your own teeth in the morning and before bedtime.
- If while wearing prostheses began to feel complications in the form of swelling gums, then you need to visit a doctor. He will determine the cause of the development of pathology and perform the necessary treatment. Great attention should be paid to serious foci of inflammation, the slightest bleeding and severe swelling. These symptoms of infection are most dangerous.
- To brush your teeth and dentures you need powder or paste. In some cases, you can use the thread.
- It is necessary to take preventive measures. For what are quite suitable funds purchased in a pharmacy.
Metal ceramics or ceramics
Each of these materials has its own advantages and disadvantages.For example, metal-ceramic prostheses optimal in terms of price and quality. Durability, aesthetics, durability of these crowns at height. But, in case of allergy to metal products, these prostheses are undesirable to use.
Ceramic implants have better aesthetics. These prostheses have almost no contraindications. Also in this case, it is very rarely necessary to have pulping. Turning occurs to a lesser extent than for the metal-ceramic construction. But this type of prosthetics is more expensive.
If you need to restore several teeth in the foreground, it is desirable to choose a ceramic structure made by pressing. The front of the teeth is least subject to stress during chewing. Because installed ceramic crowns serve for quite some time.
Often combine these two types of prostheses. This is especially rational during the restoration of the entire range of teeth. That is, the front teeth are made of ceramic, and the far ones are made of metal-ceramic.
The correct choice will be able to prompt the dentists in the clinic. They correctly and correctly determine the situation, as well as prompt methods of treatment.
Metal-ceramic dentures - it is quite reliable and popular restoration of lost teeth. For the price, they are quite affordable, and at the same time attract aesthetics and delight with quality. Therefore, we can not doubt the correctness of the decision and the perfect choice.