Of course, the crowns on the front teeth should be as aesthetic as possible. At the moment, modern dentistry offers two of the most acceptable options for this prosthesis (in terms of their aesthetic appearance) - this is metal-free ceramics and metal ceramics. Further, we also describe the alternatives to prosthetics of the front teeth, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
This is the most common type of crowns during prosthetics front teeth. The most frequent is not due to the fact that it is considered the best, but due to the fact that relatively inexpensive in price, this type of crowns has quite good aesthetics (naturally, with the condition that the crowns are made qualitatively).
The main advantages of metal-ceramic crowns include:
- the price of these crowns is a compromise between the price of metal crowns and the price of prosthetics using metal-free ceramics;
- long operating time (more than 15 years);
- pretty acceptable aesthetic appearance.
The disadvantages of metal-ceramic crowns include:
- most often it is necessary to depulp the teeth for these prostheses (that is, to remove the nerve endings and fill the dental canals);
- the need for fairly strong grinding of the bones of the tooth.
Problems that may arise during prosthetics with metal-ceramic:
- The appearance of cyanosis on the gums - as a rule, immediately after the installation of the crown or in the near future, the formation of cyanosis of the edges of the gums in the area of the established prosthesis can be observed. This is due to the presence of a frame of various types of metal. If you have a very wide smile (during a smile, the edge of the gum is more clearly visible), then the cyanosis will begin to strike the eyes of the people around you.
- The prosthesis can be seen against the background of natural teeth - this is also explained by the presence of metal in the crown, due to it the metal-ceramic does not have a certain translucency, which is characteristic of its own teeth. Because metal ceramics looks a bit artificial against the background of natural teeth.
This is even more important when prosthetics of the front teeth, since during the smile or intercourse, natural light is constantly falling on them, which will highlight the transparency of the natural teeth and at the same time the opacity of the ceramic ones.
- When you will have several teeth at the same time, for example, the entire front dentition from “canine to canine”, such artificiality is not much to be thrown into the eyes, since only the prosthetic teeth will get into the smile area.
- When you put a crown on only one or a few front teeth, then prepare for the fact that the prostheses, one way or another, to a certain extent will be visible. Such visibility will be most visible when only one front tooth is selected for ceramics. This results from the fact that the human eye first of all notes difference of symmetric objects.
Because, when you need absolute stealth, in this case, prostheses made of metal-free ceramics are needed, which are practically invisible to the human eye.
Metal free ceramics
This type of pottery can be of several types. During the manufacture of ceramic crownsAs a rule, zirconium dioxide and porcelain (in rare cases - aluminum oxide) are used in dentistry. But only single dentures are made of porcelain. If you need to install a bridge (for example, from 4 prostheses), then it will automatically be made of ceramics, where zirconium dioxide is based. By aesthetic appearance, both materials are almost similar to each other.
During the manufacture of porcelain prostheses several techniques can be used:
- technique of applying the porcelain composition in layers;
- injection molding under high temperature and high pressure. Ceramics, which is obtained in this way, also called "pressed".
This is important, because the crowns that made of pressed porcelain, much stronger than non-pressed. Pressing increases the strength of the prosthesis and reduces the risk of cracking ceramics. Therefore, it is very important to know the method of manufacture before starting to perform prosthetics.
This is a more modern material for bridge crowns and single dentures. The reliability of zirconium dioxide can be compared with the reliability of the metal, while it has excellent aesthetic qualities.
The advantages of metal-free ceramics:
- Stable aesthetic properties, ensuring that dentures will have excellent aesthetics for quite a long time. Pottery does not lose its luster, does not turn yellow and does not darken with time;
- The aesthetics of this type of ceramics is at a very high level, the crown can fully convey the color, as well as the transparency of its own teeth. That is, it is almost impossible to distinguish a tooth on which a quality-made crown made of metal-free ceramic is from a natural tooth. This is explained by the fact that ceramics more fully corresponds to its own tooth enamel by optical parameters.
The lack of ceramic prostheses - the high price.
Features of the installation of ceramic crowns
Procedure installation of prostheses on the front teeth similar to microprosthesis technology. First, tooth enamel is prepared, then an impression is taken, taking into account that a model is made according to individual measurements of a person in a technical dental laboratory. On the first visit to the dental clinic, a fitting of the crown is performed, and on the second visit a final installation is made.
If the installation of the prosthesis occurs on the implanted tooth, then dentist must make sure of the final process of engraftment of artificially made root. Only in this case, he can fully maintain chewing pressure, which is imposed on him. An important role, during the installation of prostheses on the front teeth, is given to the professionalism of the prosthetist. An experienced dentist will perform this procedure without any violations and will be able to create an attractive smile of the patient with perfect quality and high accuracy.
When the installation was completed with some kind of disturbances, there are possible side effects: occlusion disturbances, periodontitis, persistent headaches.
How are ceramic prostheses made?
Metal-free artificial limbs are now manufactured using such technologies:
- Pressing using layered porcelain;
- CAD / CAM - in this case, a computer is used to calculate the size of the prosthesis. Taking into account the result obtained, ceramic prostheses for the front teeth are made using CNC machines.
CAD / CAM stages for making ceramic prostheses:
- Teeth impression;
- Impression scan - all information is transmitted to a special program for the manufacture of a three-dimensional model of the future prosthesis;
- A crown is produced on a CNC machine;
- Layering of zirconium frame porcelain mixture;
- Staining the prosthesis in the desired color.
For crowns made in this way, no adjustment or turning is necessary in the future.
Indications for installation on the front teeth of ceramic crowns:
- Missing one or more teeth;
- Tooth defects;
- Not the aesthetic appearance of the dentition;
- The need to restore teeth after damage.
Contraindications prosthetic ceramics:
- Gestation time;
- Processes of inflammation in the oral cavity;
- Chronic osteoporosis;
- Weak body after severe illness;
- Acute systemic diseases.
Care of metal-free prostheses:
- After eating the food carefully remove the remnants of food in areas in which the tooth is in contact with the gum, as well as from the gaps between the teeth. Rinse the mouth with water or use a special rinse for this. Interdental spaces can be cleaned with dental floss;
- Mandatory daily hygienic oral care;
- Do not use toothpaste with increased abrasiveness;
- Eliminate solid foods - including sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc., as the prosthesis may collapse.
How is the color of the metalless crown chosen?
Today's technology makes it possible impart any color to the prosthesis. With the help of special samples of shades of ceramics there is a comparison with the color of a person’s natural teeth. The color selection procedure occurs most often with natural light.
Price of crowns
The price of one prosthesis of metal ceramics is from 7 thousand rubles, but in some clinics you can see a lower cost, for example, from 5 thousand for one prosthesis. Most often in this case, clinics need to save on materials of manufacture (metal, ceramic composition), and we can expect that the prostheses will be made of low-quality materials of domestic manufacture. For example, the choice of a cheap ceramic composition would indicate a poor aesthetics of the prosthesis, and an increased risk of chipping the crown.
Price of ceramics without metal fluctuates within 14 thousand rubles. in one prosthesis. The magnificent aesthetics and durability of ceramic prostheses, of course, due to their high cost and this all naturally affects the final cost.
Alternative methods of prosthetics
Restore using veneers - an indispensable condition for this type of prosthetics is the preservation of the dental lingual wall or its destruction should be negligible. That is, when only the cutting edge or the front part of your front tooth is broken, the installation of veneer is quite possible. And in this case, we advise veneers, which are made of ceramics. These products have excellent aesthetics.
Restoration of several front teeth - an excellent alternative to a bridge crown of 1-2 prostheses will be either a removable prosthesis or implantation.
Restoration restoration is restoration of front teeth with the help of filling materials. In modern dentistry, there is one firm rule: when the tooth surface is less than half destroyed, this is considered an indication for its restoration with a filling material, but when the degree of tooth destruction is more than half the total area, then the tooth will be restored with the help of a crown.
Naturally, it is possible to restore a tooth destroyed by a root of a filling material, but this tooth will not withstand chewing pressure, which will certainly end with a fracture of the base.
Which crown is better to install on the front teeth?
Summarizing, you can determine which crowns are best to choose:
- If you take into account their price, then the most affordable will be metal-ceramic or plastic crowns. But keep in mind that plastic crowns have rapid wear, and metal-ceramic - can cause an allergic reaction.
- Then porcelain design, combining strength and excellent aesthetics, but these crowns are quite expensive.
- The leader in terms of functionality are zirconium prostheses, the cost of production and installation are the largest.
I.e, opt for a certain type of crown on the front teeth, it is necessary to do, first of all, taking into account the fact that a person has a specific amount of money, and only then to disassemble various advantages and disadvantages of the materials of manufacture. But still do not forget that the miser pays twice!