The prevalence of caries is currently at an extremely high level. This is due to many factors: from the environmental situation to the individual culture of each person. One of the ways out of the situation is a light filling, which has a lot of positive qualities: quick installation, lack of regular maintenance and extremely high strength, which allows you to maintain anatomical and aesthetic usefulness even after several years.
What is a photo seal for teeth
Light or photo seal is a seal, which hardens under the influence of ultraviolet radiation. With this technology, it is possible to restore teeth even with massive damage. The main indications include:
- Damage to the dental tissue by no more than 30%;
- Compliance with careful hygiene by the patient (absence of significant carious damage to other teeth, this type of filling is extremely unstable to the constant presence of pathogenic microorganisms in the oral cavity).
In case of massive damage to the tissues of the tooth, the photographic seal acts as a temporary measure, in the future it is planned to install more expensive materials. Ideal for frontal teeth and molars. Light-cured material has the right to boast significant aesthetic characteristics (it is possible to choose any color shade that matches the color of the remaining teeth in the mouth) and high strength, unlike classical or chemical fillings.
The structural elements of the mixtures for filling are environmentally friendly and safe for the human body materials:
- Polymer matrix (bisphenol A-glycidyl methacrylate, this compound is derived from the extremely toxic substance - bisphenol A);
- Filler (grains of barium glass and glass-ceramic, silicon dioxide);
- Binders, these include silanes, which are compounds of silicon and hydrogen.
The most common composite materials from manufacturers such as:
- Fuji (Japan);
- Noritake (Japan);
- Kerr (USA);
- Dipol (United States);
- Bisco (United States);
- GC America (USA);
- Degussa (Germany).
Depending on the tasks that the filling should solve, the following materials are released:
- Macrofilled. They have increased resistance to abrasion, but the aesthetic side leaves much to be desired.
- Microfilled. Used for the restoration of canines and incisors, as they have a beautiful appearance, but are less resistant to mechanical stress.
- Nanohybrid. Shrinkage is insignificant, high strength, bright aesthetic indicators.
What is the difference between a light seal and a chemical one?
The composite hardens only under the influence of a powerful light source (a curing lamp with visible blue rays that have a wavelength of 450 to 490 nm). The possibility of solidification is explained by the presence of special photosensitive substances in the material, which in the process of irradiation decompose into many radicals and trigger the processes of solidification in previously formed masses located in the cavity of the tooth. It is precisely these properties of solidification that are the key factor that distinguishes photographic seals from all other varieties.
Chemical fillings are installed with minor damage to the tooth.Hardening occurs as a result of the chemical reaction of the material, which can be represented:
- Glass ionomer cement;
- Composite elements.
However, chemical fillings have many advantages:
- Protection against secondary carious lesions (due to the presence of fluorine atoms that have bactericidal properties and help strengthen tooth enamel);
- High strength after curing;
- Low shrinkage of filling material.
To the number of disadvantages, compared with photo-solidifying, include:
- The impossibility of accurate correction (photo seal hardens only under the influence of ultraviolet waves, and chemical ones begin to stone in the process of installation, which presents significant difficulties associated with modeling the shape of the tooth);
- A small number of shades (as a rule, chemical fillings stand out among the rest of the teeth after installation);
- Low service life (usually no more than 3 years).
Light fillings - the most modern material, allowing you to completely recreate the shape of the tooth.
Restoration of light-hardening material is currently the most common method of caries treatment, which has destroyed most of the tooth. This option of seals differs in a variety of indicators from ordinary seals, costs much less and does not require special care. These opportunities have made it possible to gain wide acceptance among dental clinics of a private or public profile.
How old do children get
Staging of light fillings is not recommended for milk and molar teeth during the first two years from the moment of eruption. These circumstances are due to the following reasons:
- Strong pressure on the crown walls and loose dentin (cracking may occur);
- The restlessness of the child (installation requires careful cleaning of the carious cavity);
- An obstacle to the further growth of "young" teeth.
Is it possible to put during pregnancy
Light-cured composite materials do not contain substances hazardous to health, therefore, they cannot cause harm to the fetus. In the absence of pulp lesion, which requires cleaning of the root canals that can lead to infection, the installation of a seal is allowed.
It is important! You should refrain from any manipulations that involve the contact of dental instruments with open wound surfaces.
Stages of the production
The process of installing a seal is a rather complicated task, requiring the following steps to be carried out in sequence:
- Anesthesia. Currently, both local and general means of pain relief are used. Neuroleptic algesia is widespread.
- Preparation of carious cavity.
- Drawing polymeric materials.
- Final processing (turning, varnishing).
How to put a light seal
The whole process of installing a filling material can be represented as follows:
- Examination of the oral cavity, identification of affected chewing elements, assessment of the adequacy of the necessary treatment.
- Perform local anesthesia.
- Selection of composite, suitable for strength and color characteristics.
- Grinding of the cavity in order to remove all non-viable and affected parts of the tooth.
- Isolation of the site of intervention from saliva. If this condition is not observed, wetting of the cavity prepared for sealing and loss of tightness may occur. Cotton rolls or cofferdam are usually used - a thin sheet of latex rubber that is put on the tooth and creates a dry working field. Excess saliva is removed with the help of a saliva ejector.
- Acid etching cavity. As a rule, is carried out with the help of phosphoric acid.The procedure is necessary to remove the "smeared" layer and increase the area of contact between the filling and the tissue. Acid allows you to create a rough base by dissolving the inorganic structures of the tooth. After 20–50 seconds, the agent is washed off with water, and the tissues are dried with a stream of air.
- Application of the bond - creating a sticky layer for reliable adhesion of the seal with the tooth.
- Covering the walls of the cavity with a fluid composite that fills all microscopic cavities and roughness, which allows you to create an ideal layer that helps relieve mechanical stress and increase contact with the main filling material. After application, the current material is treated with a light lamp and hardens.
- Introduction of a filling material. It is carried out gradually, in small portions, each layer is carefully distributed. After each layer, it cures under UV light. The thickness should not exceed 1.5–2 mm, which ensures perfect “petrification”. If you exceed this indicator, there will be a significant shrinkage, which can lead to the formation of micro gaps.
- Processing fillings. Needed to give anatomical shape. Pre-turning is done using diamond or carbide burs. Removing unnecessary composite components, smoothing sharp edges. To control the adequacy of the procedure, copy paper is required. When the teeth are closed, there are traces on the places of excessive protrusion of the filling, then they are re-ground.
- Covering with watering paste and protective varnish. These substances provide additional strength and protection against any damage (mechanical, microbial, chemical, etc.).
The installation procedure of composite materials has certain features in the presence of medium and deep caries. With such lesions, the area of the tooth that separates the cavity of the tooth from the pulp chamber is usually extremely thin, and a serious complication can occur - pulpitis (inflammation of the neurovascular bundle of the tooth).
It is important! With deep caries, a prestressing pad is applied, which contains calcium compounds and promotes dentine regeneration from the pulp. And all the layers of the photo seal are already laid on top.
With the involvement of the pulp in the carious process, the pulp chamber is opened with subsequent filling of all the channels.
How much can you eat
Despite the fact that the photo seal hardens immediately after UV light hits it, it is recommended to eat food after installing the seal only after 2 hours. When eating before the expiration of this time, mechanical damage to the surface or deep layers of the composite material with the development of anatomical or aesthetic defects is possible.
It is important! During the day, it is forbidden to allow any active strongly coloring substances and products containing them (coffee, strong black tea, beet juice, etc.) to enter the oral cavity. Such components will lead to a change in the color of the filling.
In the first 5 days it is also recommended to eat more fruits and cereals. These products contribute to improving the strength characteristics.
How much is holding up
The durability of the photo-hardening composite material is directly dependent on compliance with the recommendations of the dentist in the early and distant period after the intervention.
It is important! With daily cleaning of teeth, lack of contact with mechanical damaging factors, eating soft food or medium hardness, the filling will last from 5 to 10 years.
How to care
Despite the fact that such a seal is a modern development, it requires careful maintenance, which implies the following conditions:
- Refusal from food containing coloring matter. As previously described, these products should not be taken on the first day after installation.However, for the additional preservation of aesthetic indicators, coffee, beetroot and cherry juices, borschtas, carbonated drinks should not be abused during the whole time of the filling.
- Refusal of any solid products that can lead to mechanical damage (nuts, nougat, etc.).
- Implementation of regular brushing. The accumulation of food particles and colonization by pathogenic flora contributes to the destruction not only of the composite base, but also of the tooth tissues in contact with the filling. You must rinse your mouth with water after each meal and clean it for at least 3-5 minutes, 2 times a day.
- Disposal of a number of specific habits in their presence (gnashing of teeth, biting pens and pencils, opening bottles and cans with teeth, etc.).
- Systematic observation by a dentist. Only a specialist can correctly assess the condition of the teeth and fillings and, if necessary, correct any violations that have occurred. It is recommended to be observed at least once every six months.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main positive properties include:
- Rapid hardening under the action of ultraviolet radiation only, which provides ample opportunities for modeling.
- High strength of the material in comparison with all other types of seals.
- Lack of shrinkage and attrition in the course of adequate operation.
- Long service life.
- Individual wide range of color shades.
- The absence of toxic substances that are harmful to health and cause allergic reactions.
- Ability to install pregnant.
- Lack of adhesion of small particles. This is ensured by the smooth surface of the filling.
From among the negative aspects, only one can be distinguished - the inability to install in hard-to-reach places of the oral cavity due to the impossibility of introducing a light lamp.
Price of a light seal
The cost can vary considerably depending on the material of the main composite, the degree of tooth decay (filling volume), the region where the medical facility is located. The average price ranges from 900 to 5,000 rubles for 1 filling excluding the work of the doctor. The cost of providing the installation service is additionally 1,000-3,000 rubles.
It should be noted that the price is much higher in the central regions of the country and gradually decreases with distance. In Moscow, for such work can take from 10 000-15 000 rubles, and even more.
“Light-cured filling is real salvation! She helped me to get rid of the terrible huge hole in the tooth, which was constantly sick with ingestion of any food. It is worth noting that the procedure is fast enough, I spent no more than 30 minutes at the doctor’s office. No pain! I have been using it for almost 2 years already, I eat almost everything, but it’s worth it and hasn’t even changed the color! ”
“I was always skeptical about any innovations and innovations in domestic medicine. I learned about the light filling and decided to try it. There was very little money, and I turned to a clinic in the place of residence. Everything was interesting, the doctor constantly shone "his flashlight" in my mouth. However, the procedure did not take a lot of time, and they took only 600 rubles from me (a similar variant of the seals is not included in the insurance policy). It is already the 4th month, there seems to be no problem. ”
My son constantly hurts his teeth (he is 23). He advised to go to a familiar dentist and put a light seal, the usual ones quickly crumbled and did not hold on for more than half a year. He went and put 3 at once. Now, every time he thanks me, he says that they stand perfectly, he even stopped being afraid to eat nuts. ”
Video: the filling of light polymerization in dentistry
Thus, the light filling is a priority way to treat caries due to its high strength, the absence of harmful substances, long service life and a fairly low cost compared to other methods of restoring the integrity of teeth. This version of the composite material is allowed, even pregnant!