Plasmolifting, or a method of treating diseases with the help of blood plasma, was discovered back in 2004. Since then, it has been widely used in various fields of medicine, including dentistry. The technique contributes to the rapid regeneration of tissues and allows you to solve many problems associated with diseases of the teeth and gums. Let's see how and what plasma-lifting is used in dentistry.
Plasmolifting gums: what is it
Plasmolifting is an innovative technology that is based on PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma), that is, the introduction of the patient's own plasma with increased platelet concentration into the tissue. This revolutionary technique does not use chemicals, but biological material that triggers regenerative processes at the deep cellular level.
It is important! Compared with other therapeutic methods, it has a minimum number of contraindications and side effects and allows you to achieve good results in a short time.
Mechanism of action
Plasma is a liquid that consists of water and biologically active substances dissolved in it - proteins, fatty acids, enzymes, vitamins, etc. It is obtained from the patient's blood using special equipment, and then enriched with platelets. These are blood plates that take part in hemostasis, have antibacterial and restorative properties. They contain growth factors that stimulate the development of stem cells - the basis for the construction of the remaining cells of the human body.
After the introduction of plasma into the tissues of the gums, the substance activates self-regeneration at a deep level, normalizes oxygen and metabolic processes, increases local immunity, strengthens hard and soft tissues. Due to this procedure plasma-lifting improves the condition of the oral cavity without the use of additional funds.
Plasmolifting in dentistry is used to eliminate and prevent pathological processes in various diseases and surgical interventions. It is used to eliminate bleeding gums, teeth loosening, inflammatory and infectious processes, pain, and discomfort when eating. Indications for the procedure include:
- Gingivitis of any etiology (due to poor oral hygiene or pathogenic microorganisms);
- Generalized and localized periodontitis;
- Alveolitis after the procedure to remove the teeth;
- Periimplantitis (inflammatory processes in the hard tissues of the oral cavity);
- The rehabilitation period for prosthetics and implantation of teeth;
- Preparing to install implants;
- The weakness and friability of the soft tissues of the gums, tooth mobility syndrome;
- Complications after dental procedures - the development of inflammatory processes, rejection of implants;
- Surgical interventions (osteoplasty, extraction of "complex" teeth, etc.).
It is important! Plasmolifting gives a good result not only in the treatment, but also in the prevention of pathological processes in the oral cavity. People who are prone to such diseases are recommended to undergo the procedure regularly, 3-4 times a year.
Contraindications and side effects
For the plasma-lifting procedure, the patient's own biomaterial is used, and the health of the body plays an important role in the success of its implementation. Contraindications to treatment with this technique include:
- Immunodeficiency states (HIV);
- Poor blood clotting;
- Infectious diseases;
- Metabolic disorders;
- Mental disorders;
- Oncological processes;
- Endocrine and autoimmune disorders;
- Individual intolerance to heparin and anticoagulants.
If you have serious chronic diseases, especially in the acute stage, you should consult your doctor before performing plasma-lifting.
Side effects during treatment rarely develop, since the plasma does not conflict with the tissues of the body, but sometimes unpleasant phenomena are possible - redness of the skin, hematomas, bruises and swelling. Occasionally, there is an activation of pathogenic microorganisms that are in a dormant state in the body, due to which herpes and acne eruptions are possible.
It is important! Usually, the side effects go away on their own for several days and do not require medical intervention. Serious complications are possible only in case of violation of the technology of the procedure and lack of specialist qualifications.
If discomfort, swelling and redness do not diminish or are accompanied by other symptoms (fever, weakness, deterioration of well-being), consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Preparation for the procedure and general recommendations
Special training procedure does not require plasma lifting. A few days before the procedure, the patient is recommended to exclude from the diet alcohol, fried and fatty foods. To reduce the risk of side effects, you should refuse to take drugs that affect blood clotting. When using other medicines, you must inform your doctor.
After treatment, you must refrain from visiting the bath, sauna, swimming pool and solarium for 2-3 days. In addition, you need to reduce physical exertion and the likelihood of mechanical effects on the area into which the plasma was injected — not to injure it with a brush, toothpick or other objects. For the first few days, it is recommended to stop eating solid, hot or too cold food, do not rinse your mouth with running water, and make baths of antiseptic solutions. In addition, the patient must eat properly, eliminate bad habits, lead a healthy lifestyle and pay enough attention to good oral hygiene.
If necessary, you should take drugs that your doctor prescribes, and follow additional recommendations (for surgical interventions and neglected diseases, the list of restrictions may be extended).
Advantages and disadvantages
Plasmolifting is an effective therapeutic procedure that has no analogues and has proven itself only on the positive side. Advantages of the procedure:
- Security. The risk of infection, rejection and development of allergic reactions in the treatment of plasma injections is minimal, since it is carried out without the use of synthetic drugs. The fluid that is used for administration consists of the tissues of the patient himself, which eliminates unwanted body reactions.
- Lack of pain.The procedure is performed under local anesthesia, so discomfort and discomfort are excluded. After plazmoliftinga pain possible, which are easily stopped by painkillers.
- Speed and effect. Plasmolifting is carried out on an outpatient basis and does not require time-consuming, and the result is manifested in a few days.
- Ease of implementation. Therapy does not require expensive equipment, special training, hospitalization of the patient or a long rehabilitation period.
- High efficiency. The procedure covers a wide range of indications and practically does not cause side effects in comparison with other therapeutic methods. It can be used in combination with surgical methods of treatment and medication.
- No complications. Plasmolifting is performed using conventional injections, thereby reducing the risk of infection and the occurrence of other complications.
- Steady result. Drugs give the necessary results only during their use, and after discontinuation of therapy, the disease returns. In the case of plasma injections, the cancellation effect is absent, and one course of injections gives a lasting improvement.
The main disadvantages of plasma lifting is the high cost and the lack of prevalence of the technique. The therapeutic effect of one procedure may not be sufficient, and in difficult cases, the patient needs several courses of treatment to eliminate the symptoms of disease. You can not go through the procedure in every dental office due to the lack of necessary equipment, qualified medical staff and skepticism of some specialists to the use of biomaterial.
It is important! The success of plasma-lifting depends largely on the proper organization of the treatment process - with the introduction of an insufficient amount of plasma, it will be impossible to achieve the desired result.
The effect of plasma lifting
In the treatment of dental diseases, plasma lifting allows to achieve the following effect:
- Soon wound healing, tissue regeneration, reduction of the rehabilitation period after surgical interventions;
- Reducing the risk of implant rejection and quick adaptation of the jaw apparatus to the structures;
- Elimination of bleeding gums, unpleasant smell, pain and discomfort;
- Relief of putrefactive and inflammatory processes;
- Restriction of tooth mobility;
- Strengthening the tissues of the gums and local immunity, the destruction of pathogenic microorganisms;
- Improving the condition, structure and tone of hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity.
Visible improvements after plasma-lifting are noticeable already in a week, and after a full course of treatment, the symptoms of dental diseases completely disappear.
Technology of carrying
Plasmolifting is carried out only according to the testimony of a doctor, taking into account contraindications and features of the patient. Previously, blood tests are taken from the patient, jaw x-rays are made, and if necessary, consultations of other specialists are appointed. The procedure using plasma is quite simple, and does not require special equipment, except a centrifuge for the separation and production of plasma:
- About 15 ml of venous blood is taken from the patient.
- The biomaterial is placed in a centrifuge, where blood is processed at high speed to separate the plasma from the other components.
- The area where the plasma will be injected is disinfected, and the patient may be anesthetized at will.
- The doctor collects the resulting concentrate of useful substances into a syringe with a thin needle and inserts it into the periodontal tissues - into the place where the implant will be installed, the hole of the extracted tooth, areas affected by inflammatory or infectious processes.
On average, the procedure takes no more than 20-30 minutes. The patient does not feel any pain or serious discomfort after plasma-lifting and can immediately return to his usual lifestyle. The number of injections depends on the state of the oral cavity - sometimes 2–3 plasma injections are sufficient, and in severe cases at least 5 sessions are required.
The cost of plasma-lifting depends on the number of procedures that are necessary for the patient, and the pricing policy of the dental clinic. In different cities, the treatment course ranges from 4 to 8 thousand rubles, and regular prevention of dental diseases will cost about 20 thousand rubles a year.
In general, positive reviews of plasma lifting are given - patients report a quick effect, no unpleasant sensations and limitations after the procedure. The main disadvantages are the high cost and the presence of side effects (redness, swelling, discomfort), which are observed in some cases.
Long and unsuccessfully treated the increased sensitivity of the teeth - expensive pastes and drugs did not give any effect. The result of the plasma-lifting was very pleased - I can safely drink and eat hot, cold and sweet, without thinking about the painful sensations. The procedure itself is very simple and does not cause discomfort.
I had chronic inflammation of the gums, which did not respond to the usual methods of treatment. A familiar dentist advised to use plasma lifting along with medical pastes and solutions. The result shocked me - literally, the bleeding of the gums, itching and swelling literally disappeared, the bad breath that had tormented me for several years disappeared.
I underwent the plasma-lifting procedure after dental implantation. The doctor promised to restore the tissue and engraft implants with minimal time. The unpleasant sensations really passed quickly, and the new teeth immediately began to function perfectly, but the treatment course cost me almost the cost of implantation, which I can call a big minus.
Video: plasma lifting in dentistry
Plasmolifting is an innovative procedure that is used to eliminate and prevent common diseases of the oral cavity. Despite some shortcomings, it is widely used by modern clinics and has already managed to earn positive feedback from dentists and their patients.